18 July, 2009

Camp 1: Complete

The kids: Each person on our team has found something beautiful about various kids we've been teaching.  I'm actually fascinated by this.

Daniel knew my name.  (He kinda reminds me of how my older brother looked when he was a kid, or when my nephew Frankie was younger - olive skin, hair cut just above the eyes and huge brown eyes.)  Connor's favorite class was card making.  Emily helped her brother to ask for candy when he didn't receive any - and he totally didn't act like a brat when he hadn't received one.  When he did, he was gracious to receive it.  Delon and Jeffrey were 'delinquent' kids who always remembered to say, "Thank you."  And whom I apparently bonded with over bugs crawling on the ground.  And Hannah and Sam are 7-year old twins who are brilliant, polite, and can draw Power Rangers!

Carmen talks like an adult.  When she took another girl's piece of ribbon, and was called on it, the first sentence we heard out of her was, "What does it matter?"   Sassy, I tell you. C:

I think we all wish that we had more time to have deeper conversations to get to know these kids.  Abigail's favorite color is blue.  And the older kids all came back to pick up their canvases.  As fascinated as they all were with our classes, is probably how fascinated we are with them...

The key:
Today, I broke the key in the front door.  It's Saturday and there is a holiday on Monday.  I hope we can get a locksmith or the garage door key before Tuesday...

No comments: