23 March, 2010

Reflections: This one's for Juliana


When I first began painting in Indonesia, I was home in our 3 bedroom house.  The walls in my room were painted blue, the same blue used in our bathroom. Soothing. Peaceful. Fresh.  After a couple days 'locked in my room', I finally came out for air.  And refreshed I was.

On the other side of the wall, Juliana's room was purple (her favorite color).  This painting matched her walls.  She liked it so much that she asked me to paint her walls like it.  Looking back, I wish I took that project on. Now that I'm back on the other side of the world, it seems like a world away.
Juliana was always so patient with me.  She was constantly generous and gracious.  We could have such honest conversations - in my weariness, about my frustrations, and even my dreams.  Together, we would learn about how to live in a third culture. All the while, she was learning about mine and I about hers. 
She recently took a trip on her own.  I miss taking those trips with her -and numerous they were!  Sometimes with a large group, and sometimes just the two of us daring to explore the jungle villages.  We could take turns being the brave one when it came to adventure - whether teaching art to kids, creating a Christmas drama with orphans, or teaching a high school English class. When I simply didn't have the words, she did.  Even beyond being one of my brilliant language teachers, we could simply talk through our troubles and successes!
We would play arcade games, only to be watched (and laughed at) by some of our students.  We would get drenched riding the motorcycle back into town.  We would simply laugh at whatever made us enjoy life.
But even being on the opposite side of the world, I am reminded of her passion.  She genuinely loved getting to know people, taking time to love kids from all walks of life, and simply making time to let people know that they are priceless.  I imagine how this fire within her continues to be fueled by only something deep inside her soul.
Her life really is evidence of the Life of Fire.

No comments: