19 May, 2011

From Week 1: Hong Kong Layover











What to do with an 8 hour layover after a 14 hour flight?  Get out of the airport!  My mom and I took the subway to explore just a little of Hong Kong.  We made sure to stop in a bakery to try some fresh pastries.  (Notice: my drink is the color of the cement.  I had to try it for kicks, but it's not my favorite.)  We enjoyed our snacks along the Walk of Fame where hundreds of tourists also joined us.  

I'd been here 5 years ago, around the same time of year, and also for a layover on my way to Indonesia.  At that time, they were doing some construction.  I think this fountain/pool might be new too! 

We rode a ferry back for the experience.  We visited the Financial Center (tallest building in the city) where visitors could see a view of the city from the 55th floor.  Notice, that's the only floor we were allowed to get out.  They had an exhibit about Hong Kong money - its history, its production.  All quite fascinating to me as I work with various print methods.

Anyway, it was a great way to stretch, get fresh air and simply explore another culture! Even if we were in Hong Kong for only for a few hours.

No comments: