06 January, 2007

A Ferry, a Ship, Hundereds of Souls

The day after Christmas 2004: Asia Tsunami. Over 220,000 died or missing. The day after Easter, March 2005: Nias/Sumatra Tsunami. 1,000 people died. May 2006: Mount Merapi Volcano spews ashes. 15,000 villagers flee their homes. May 2006: Java Earthquake. At least 5,800 died, more than 36,000 injured. June 2006: Sulawesi Flood/Landslide. 300 people died. July 2006: Java Tsunami. Over 600 died. December 2006: Java Ferry Sinks. 230 rescued, 398 missing. January 2007, 3 days later: Missing Plane, 102 aboard. My heart is malleable. Torn. This is how I know it has been turned from one of stone to one of flesh. My soul aches. In the depth of the darkness, I see the reflective moonlight. This is the glimmer of hope. In the painting of the ocean waters, the moonlight outlines the waves. In the vision of under the rubble of 9/11, the moonlight shone through the outline of the beams. A silent voice, still resilient. A life. Still alive. I'm certain there are many significant events in other places around the world. But I am hearing of peoples concern and interest as to what draws me *here*. I'm not exactly sure why Indonesia. But it seems clear to me that this is where I'm headed next. I'm not exactly scared about such events. Maybe it's because I was raised in California where earthquakes are unpredictable. Just living, thriving while I have today.

No comments: