03 March, 2007

Being Chinese

A lady stopped in the store. (We have a support-raising, stationery raffle going on through the end of March). She'd lived in Indonesia for 3 years with her family. Her husband worked to get the phone system set up - whoo hoo! Yes, I can have a cell phone and internet access! What IS the political climate of where I'm headed? Seems safe, but overall - I, and others, wonder, "Why Indonesia?" You're Chinese, you look Chinese - Chinese aren't well liked in Indonesia. I have much learning to do - the language, about the culture, adjusting to the prayer calls over the loudspeaker. Indeed, it will be different. How grateful I am to be so well supported. I definitely couldn't do it without the moral support, being able to wrestle with the thought of all that it entails to go, being allowed to choose this. It is exciting to have customers stop in for a visit. It is exciting to learn so much along the way. I haven't even arrived and I'm learning so much! Just wanted to say thanks for reading and all your support. By the way, we're approaching 30%!!!

No comments: