13 February, 2008

Back to the grind

After a couple months of many changes, today I've finally returned to
the grind. Hours of Bahasa Indonesia and homework assignments back
on my list of things to do. (I'd been slacking on the homework aspect.)

While we were in Lombok, Brenda was sitting on the shore, digging
through the sand for fascinating pieces of coral and shells. But
then, her mother's diamond ring slipped off her finger! (She didn't
want to leave it in the hotel for it to be stolen.) After an hour of
looking, we asked the nearby sellers to help find it for a reward of
1,000,000 Rp.

A few hours after lunch, we returned. A few of them were wearing
snorkeling gear and searching the beach. I brought out my goggles
and we went back to searching. Nearly 6 hours later, I let Brenda
borrow my goggles. The first breath she took, she looked down and
found it on top of the sand!

Pak Charlie spent the 6 hours looking diligently - he was still paid
a generous sum for his efforts. What a miracle. It's like looking
for a needle in the haystack - by the way, I found a fishing hook in
the sand! Apparently they fish for squid there. That was the big
story of the weekend...

No comments: