05 January, 2008

I hate cats

Sorry cat lovers. Although, maybe stray cats are really different from house cats. The creepy cat with the bloody-red tail keeps coming by the house. I saw another one sneaking around the garden. And we're pretty sure a cat ate my meatloaf. If not, then, I hate rats. Ahh, the critters... Even the bunch of bananas on the dining table attracts a trail of ants. This morning, Jennifer said she woke up at 3 because a cockroach was on her face! But I wonder. If all of these critters exist just the same in your hometown, why are boundary issues so much different here? Do you have critter issues in your personal space on a daily basis? I know, I know. This sounds so trivial. I just got an e-mail about Nancy's death. I met her briefly in Florida last fall. I hardly knew her. But that was a pivotal week for me. I distinctly remember how she and her husband made it so much easier for me as I anticipated my move out here. She had this sense of peace and honesty. She overflowed with joy in her face and simple love that just made you feel safe. The little things in life make me feel alive. So yes, if receiving Season 10 of Friends for Christmas (the real thing and NOT a pirated copy that skips) or a 3 Musketeers bar is so trivial, so selfish, so materialistic... Well, I don't mind being labeled. I won't deny that I am trivial, selfish and materialistic. I DO want these reflections of love (time invested, thoughtfulness and generosity of friends and family). My soul is alive, refreshed, and encouraged by them. And it is little things like these that I'm able to give... a listening ear for a new friend, sharing a loaf of zucchini bread or my apple cider, writing notes, making JELL-O Instant chocolate pudding for the kids... It's fun that some things aren't different. Anyone feel like mailing Nilla Wafers, Nutter Butter or Cheez-Its?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

email me your mailing address again and any special instructions i might need to follow?
Love, Holli Fisk