29 July, 2008

California says, "Welcome Back"

While sitting in the apartment today, I felt a little rumbling. It grew and continued on... Silly me, I crawled under the counter. Turned out to be a 5.8 earthquake. Funny. The last earthquake I felt was in Indonesia. Today's felt stronger - maybe because I was on the 2nd story. The mug fell from the top of the fridge. The lamp swung back and forth. I went outside to check on neighbors (inspired by last night's talk with Andy, Garett and Adam). Only one man was in the area. That's an easy line to start a conversation: "Did you feel that?" Of course! At least I knew I wasn't going crazy. He said he just wanted to step outside for a breath of fresh air. I understood. The single breath of fresh air. The moment of deep calm. It was refreshing. If in the maddness of "getting caught up" that's the moment I get, well, I'd simply better enjoy it. Even after an earthquake.

No comments: