25 July, 2008

Initiate

Initiative: I appreciate it when people take initiative. If one
sees a problem and a solution, when they pursue either, it lets me
know that they aren't oblivious. Oblivious to the process, oblivious
to what matters to me, oblivious of the need for both.

Initiation: I've always appreciated the process of initiations. To
have respect for the place, organization, group of people, community
that you would submit to their thrashings. And to trust that they
won't beat you to a pulp - well, at least not in initiations I can
stand....

For me, my self-proclaimed initiation to Indonesia was the motorcycle muffler burn. I would never recommend a burn, knowingly or unknowingly. Even the smallest are painful and leave ugly scars. But it was a dose of reality. It is such a normalcy for the masses who mostly get around by motorcycle. The drama of my own burn was hardly sympathetic. And when it's your first week in an entirely different place, culture, city - you want some sympathy!

Well, a year later, the ugly scar is painless. It reminds me that I was 'brave enough' to suck it up and push forward. It took over a month to heal, but I got through it. I took care of it daily, and it never got infected. And if anything, it's a good story.

So, maybe it will take me a good month to get readjusted to being back. It's already been painful, but I can, again, suck it up and push forward. It's ok to take the time I need to take care of myself. And this, too, will be a good story.

No comments: