20 July, 2008

Funny Little Things

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond with Garett the other day. Melissa and Brett's bridal registry is there. I got as far as getting the list before feeling overwhelmed. There were 9 pages to it. Not really long for a registry, I know. But then I needed coaching to figure out what to get! Garett suggested that I make a purchase based on my budget. Smart! Looked down the list - no problem. But then, I had to figure out where the items on the list were located within the store!

Walked around to the sheets, and a store employee asked if she could help. I was beginning to get overwhelmed, I didn't know what to ask. She was about to walk away, but I finally just showed her the registry and asked her to clarify bath sheets. They're not sheets, just actually extra long towels actually. So back to the towels, where they only had one of 2 colors that were needed. I couldn't do the towel sets, I'm picky that way. Only to go to kitchen items, but I could only find one pan that was listed. So I asked a store clerk to help, maybe I could just point out the items on the list and he could find them. But he was just going to help another customer, so he asked if i could wait 5 minutes - fine with me! But then Garett suggested that I just get the one pan and one towel. I was beginning to get overwhelmed that I just didn't care any more. So, I headed back to the towels and then to the kitchen section. Then, we get to the register, they ring it up and ask for coupons. Oh yes, I had two - and could use both! Huge discount and I could've bought more. But at that point, it was overload for me and I just wanted to get back to the car and go home.

There was a whole mall to explore, but I barely made it through a single store!? This whole culture shock thing really isn't a joke!

We went out for dim sum today at Ocean Star Seafood Restaurant. Just getting seated was culture shock. They spoke in Chinese and I wanted to respond in Indonesian. As always, Chinese restaurants are crowded and noisy. It was a bit overwhelming and much to take in! I wanted to ask for certain items in Indonesian. I had to tell myself a couple times that it was okay to pass things with my left hand and that it wouldn't be offensive. I caught myself not knowing how to respond because I didn't want to point to anything with my fingers, but knew that pointing with my thumb would be awkward. But I made it through and enjoyed delicious Chinese food, most of it tastes differently from Chinese food in Indonesia.

I needed a break, so it felt good to take a walk. After driving everywhere for a week, it felt good to get back to walking around. I shocked myself when I pressed the button to cross the street and it beeped at me, signaling when it was my turn to cross! We walked to the Sanrio store, and I was overwhelmed at the selection. A lot of the characters have changed and it's not as colorful as it once was. But they really do carry the Hello Kitty Jewelry - as shown on Kimora (I would watch that on Indovision - cable)! And there's a Hallmark store next door!

Then, we got to go to the Mayan again tonight. I've missed the ambiance, the new lyrics, the good music, the live art. It's so good to be home.

No comments: