17 October, 2008

Coming and Going

This morning started with class at 8, a bit earlier than yesterday.
It's been a full day. I'm now exhausted. It's only 11.

We spent a good 6 hours at Rujak Berkah, the after-school program in
Polehan. A wedding took place across the street. Music blares for
about 24-48 hours before and after the ceremony. It's the
neighborhood's invitation to join. They had a processional for the
groom in the middle of class. We all went out to watch. We have
pictures to post later.

I made cards with the kids. They've been working on them and I have
about 50 to bring home. All hand made, hand drawn. $5 each in case
you're interested. All the proceeds return to Rujak Berkah, helping
these kids and their families.

I was a little confused to have to say good bye again. I don't think
we realized that it might just be a long while until I return again.
These kids will be taller when I return. I'm 160 centimeters tall.
We all measured ourselves today. And, since I can anticipate some
confusion, I'm 54 kilos.

Classes went well. Ange said she nearly cried when she was presented
with a little thank you gift.

We had a team dinner for Sharon's birthday. It was so great to hang
out with everyone all together! I already have conversations to
continue! Good thing we will see each other again tomorrow and
throughout the coming days!

After a few hours of girl talk, it's time to sleep. We're getting
cream baths tomorrow. Cream baths are very inexpensive ways of
getting pampered here. They soak your hair in 'cream' - it's like
deep conditioning. They wash and style your hair. Viola! Perfect
for going to a wedding - which, by the way, we will be attending. My
friend Gideon, the computer teacher at Charis, is getting married at
3! We will sit in on the ceremony and join the reception at 6. They
anticipate 800 people. It will be the first Indonesian ceremony I
will attend.

It's a bit surreal to 1) be in Indo and 2) be engaged. But I'm
loving both!!!

No comments: