21 July, 2007

Refreshing Favorites

July 21, 9:28 a.m.
A few of my favorite things that I have been able to enjoy in the midst of "momentary drowning" (figuratively speaking of course):
1. Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds.  Had that for breakfast nearly every day for my first 2 weeks.  (I'm down to one serving, but will have to wait until our next trip to Surabaya to get more.)
2.  Chunky Skippy Peanut Butter on bread - no toaster here.
2. Handmade greeting cards - I brought just a few of my stamps from home, but purchased a simple black ink pad and card stock here.  Not the variety of colors as my supply back home, but the colors are still vibrant!
3. Michael Buble, the Beatles and Jars of Clay - Yay, ipod!!!
4. and 2-ply toilet paper!!!!  It's not in every public restroom.  But at least it's available to purchase!  That's definitely more comfort than I was expecting!

Today, I'll go to the pool with Jennifer and Juliana.  And though I can't get into the water, I can at least check out what's around!  They say there's a restaurant and bowling alley.

It's definitely fun to watch life here in a way that I couldn't absorb in only 2 weeks.

Joy in the little things.  
Who would've ever guessed that in the middle of the ocean, salt would keep you afloat?  Look at the salt in the salt-shaker; it's so simple, so tiny.  Or when you have too much of it in food, it tastes bad.  Yet - they have salt pills to make sure that you're drinking enough fluids!  The salt comes out of your pores when you sweat heavily (ok, so that's not for the average civilian).  Still, this same salt, will keep my head above water until I regain strength to swim again.  All I have to do, is relax a little MORE!  Sounds a little lazy, yet, it's what I need to do in order to stay alive, to not cramp up, to not panic.

I see that I'm, now, beginning to swim beyond the first sprint. For now, I "walk": It is the process of not having yet arrived. As much as I do need to pace myself, I also do need to simply rest, and take time to bask in the presence of a little salt compound.  Normally, salt on a wound would sting immensely!  For now, I simply have to trust that this salt will make me stronger.  And that it's not to harm me, but to maybe cleanse the the deepest parts.

No comments: