20 July, 2007

Walking into the end of week 2

Jalan jalan = walking > the journey > the process of arriving.
Today, a little glimmer of hope. A little more joy. Patiently
awaiting.

So today, I went to the art store and found a canvas to paint for my
wall. I haven't thought about how I'd bring it home, but for now, it
will be fun to create my own wall art! Nor have I decided what
colors I want to use or what I will paint.

I got my leg checked out from the motorcycle burn. No problems,
looks like it's healing fine. Got a months worth of supplies to
change the dressing daily. at the Apotik Anugrah, you can find
anything. And they even deliver, no extra fees!

And then, spontaneously, I went to a wedding reception with a bus
load of teachers. It was in the last village of Malang. It was as if
we drove through the jungle on a paved road, yet it also reminded me
of driving through Hawaii. Love looking out to see the rice fields
or a man crushing rocks for gravel in his handmade teepee of sticks
for shade.

A traditional cousin reception - some similar food as we have for
Chinese dim sum! Coconut appetizers reminded me of my favorite gai
mei bao! Rice cake, gin doi, and sweet tea! Peanuts, too! Then,
right when we were about to be full on appetizers, they open this
curtain, you walk though and there are tables of bowls and food!
Including Nasi Goreng (fried rice) and Basok (meatballs - reminds me
of fishballs at home).

I'm learning about time and days of the week and months, how to count
rupiahs and tell people how much I have - it takes me longer
translate than to count all of the coins and bills! But, I'm learning!

The weather was hotter this week. It rained Sunday and Monday
night. They say it's more humid because of the rainfall, so it feels
more nasty. I agree.

Well, it's nearing 4. Everyone's packing up. I shall return Sunday
night Cali time! Sampai minggu depan! (Until next week!)

No comments: