14 May, 2008

40 laps, going on 50

Right before it was my time to swim, I had a few friends stop by the
swim-a-thon. They challenged me. They would sponsor me 5,000 per
lap up to 50,000 - if I would swim 10 laps in a row, non-stop.

In practice, I swam 40. As much as I knew I wasn't in a race, I
could do it. I should pace myself. It would push me, but I could
rest after only 10.

Jennifer and Juliana swam to my side.

I did it! And I kept swimming for my hour.

I was keeping pace with Jennifer, but then would need to rest. She
would pass me. My competitive side kicked in. I wanted to beat her,
even though it wasn't a competition.

I could tell my body was getting sore. For a moment, all I could do
was pray. It didn't matter how much I wanted this to happen. It
wouldn't happen without Him. Usually, I could get my mind to a
place of meditation. I could sing in the water and laps would fly
by. But these laps were getting painful. In the clear blue water,
the vision of His hand pulled me along like a toy in the tub. I was
swimming in the deep water, the water that was too deep to cross.
(Ez 47) The fruit is coming. It's on the horizon.

My goal was 45. At about 10-15 minutes left, I had finished 40! I
was exhausted, but kept pushing. People would stop to talk while I
was taking seconds to rest. I knew I had to keep going. I gave up
on the flip turns. Just kept pace. Just keep swimming. Don't
stop. At the end of the hour, I completed 50 laps. I swam the most
laps out of all the ladies. We've raised $201.70 of $2,000 needed so
far.

No comments: