23 May, 2008

Celebrating Friends

Tonight I went to a surprise birthday party for my friend, Merro. She turned 34.

I'm so lucky, I get to meet such amazing people. To think, 34 years ago, there was a plan for us to meet. I've always been told that there was a plan for my life (before I was even born). But that goes for her life, too - meaning that the plan for me was considered even before she was born!

It just felt special to realize that.

Even though she has been sick for the past few days, she was laughing out tears. It's like family away from home. I'm realizing I have a few of those. And it's been just 10 months. Definitely spoiled...

About 30 people showed up to celebrate her tonight! Oh! I have a funny story to share!

So one of her friends gave a gift to Pam for her birthday - not realizing it wasn't Pam's birthday. After some embarrassment, the gift was opened - a book from 1959! It was the guy's favorite book. Pages were yellowed, the cover was nearly torn off. Apparently, a well read book. And inside the cover, he had written "To Pam" with today's date and the man's signature. Though we could appreciate his thoughtfulness, we couldn't get past this classic piece of history... Only to look into this book - and realize that the ending pages had been torn out! Talk about a way to see if your favorite book was truly enjoyed by your friend!

So, if I am ever so thoughtful to give you the original copy of my favorite book - I hope you will take time to read it through to the end. Even if it's for someone else's birthday party.

Cheers!

No comments: