27 May, 2008

The Art of Words

So yesterday, on a rare occasion, I was on the front porch with
Lidya, Pam and Merro. We were having a good laugh as Lidya, who is
always energetic and animated, went about telling her stories. She
started doing impressions of our friend from Germany. And then, they
wanted to do impressions of me!

It's funny how everyone has their words. Apparently, mine is
"Baiklah," which simply means "Okay."
When I think of Lidya, I think of "Loh!" a common expression that
doesn't exactly have a meaning. But always with a low sound,
downward tone and plenty of enthusiasm.
When I think of Merro, I think of "Sungguh?" which means, "really?"
This usually comes after I tell her some random story from home or
some of the mini-drama from life here.
Pam, I haven't yet narrowed down, but she's got the best faces when
she's telling a story.

Actually, they're all really good story tellers. They're so funny
and brighten my day! I like my friends. And I can finally
understand most of what they say when they're all talking in
Indonesian. Always a plus.

No comments: