17 May, 2008

I like you because...

2:45-5:45 6 of us rode 3 motorcycles to Tugu Hotel, where we enjoyed the spa. Brenda said it was the best place in town! Rose petals and jasmine flowers filled a giant tub. Ahhh, a floral bath and a facial - at the same time! 6:00-8:00 15 people were at dinner, "Gloria" (Chinese food). We had the entire upstairs room all to ourselves. Of course, being in stationery, I made place cards! *What a paper snob, I know.* Inside each, I wrote, "I like you because..." - you stay up "late" and sleep "in" too! - you are sarcastic! - you are helpful! - you are funny (usually)! C; - your cheerfulness is contagious! - you give me high-fives! - you share stories about home with me! - you are inventive! - you absolutely love adventures! - you include me and it's fun! - you greet me when we randomly meet around town! - you have a passion for your kids! - you include me as part of your family Man, I'm sure going to miss these people... I'm so lucky to be able to celebrate my birthday with these friends, after spending 11 months here getting to know them, journeying with them. I really do enjoy their company. And it was so fun to watch them interact! I think only Kaylor knew everyone there prior to tonight. But by the time we left, we were making plans to go rafting, to go to the beach, to go camping... I love connecting people with each other! Merro and Pam gave me a CD of traditional Indonesian music! Juliana made me a set of jewelry from Indonesian beads! Donny and Kaylor gave me cash to go to the movies with a friend, including drink and popcorn! Hayley and MJ made me brownies! Karen and Iin gave me a book by Max Lucado, one of my favorite authors, and a Toblerone bar! Amanda and Jon gave me cash for art supplies! And Lidya and Ayub gave me a great Batik scarf! Love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leela, your appreciation for your friends (and other blessings) and general joyfulness about life are both so inspiring! I'm sure your friends were all so touched just by your simple act of making them each a personalized place card.
I'm so glad for the mutual-appreciation society you've established over there with your new dear friends!