14 April, 2011

Blehmbing

To Smear:
This afternoon at Polehan, we hosted the monthly meeting for moms.  I got to teach them an art project.  They created beautiful stained glass window art!  (I've suddenly realized that our week has come to a close!)

In translating the tips and guidelines for the project, we couldn't figure out the Indonesian word for "smear".  We wanted to tell them how to avoid smearing their artwork.  The words we came up with were "to not make it ugly".  But that was too harsh.

Finally, after asking 4 others, one of the translators knew the Javanese word.  Not everyone here (even if they're Indonesian) knows Javanese, but the moms in this village use Javanese all the time!  It's more of a local language and special to this island.

And so, it sounds like "bleh"!  C:

The meeting was only supposed to last an hour.  They didn't want to leave and stayed until their projects were complete.  I hope they find the same peace in creating that I enjoy and have experienced.

My mom made cinnamon apple scones.  They asked for the recipe so that they can try to make it themselves.  We came home with only crumbs in the box.  

Thursday was a great day for me.  I'm honored to connect with the kids and their moms.  I have the best job ever!   I already miss working there and look forward to the next time I can be with them.  Even if these kids have all grown up and new kids/families will be there.
Pro. 18:10

No comments: