19 September, 2007

The Art of Kickball

When I would go out for recess, my friends and I would often play
kickball. Mind you, I was one of the worst players. Patrick always
kicked a pop fly - even if it meant the bell had just rung and he
nailed a teacher in the head, only to get in trouble. And Melissa,
of course, would be the only one to play in a skirt.
But still, it was a game I understood.

Just the other day, I realized that they don't play kickball here.
To me, kick ball is using a soccer ball on a baseball field, with
rules similar to baseball.

Now, I understood that Futbol, Football, and Soccer are all the same
in some cultures, differing from American Football. But I
discovered: Kickball = Soccer = Football

So there isn't American Football, Baseball, nor Kickball! They don't
have ice skating rinks here, thus, no Ice Hockey! And other than
water sports, these are my favorite sports to watch and play!

If I didn't have art
If I didn't play kickball in middle school
If I didn't have Friday night high school football games
or marshmallow-fights at college football games
If I didn't watch live baseball and hockey games
I would have to imagine that I'd be a totally different person.

It has been those subtle encounters that have shaped me to create,
to see the differences in people's strengths, to simply enjoy
passion. Not to mention the sheer fun of winning a friendly,
competitive game!

1 comment:

David Samuel Sandler said...

glad you finally figured it out. now you have to pick a favorite team to root for. :-)