09 September, 2007

I miss "working overtime"

So when I was working in California, I had 4 jobs. I had a flexible schedule, but also the discipline to accomplish the work that I needed in order to make my time work for me. I wasn't most wealthy. Nor did I work 1) for money, 2) to fill my time or 3) to discover my significance. Yet, in all of my work, I did find money, I found that my time was filled, and I discovered that my roles were significant! Loved it!

Here, it's not too much different. I work with artists. I teach Art and English. I help out at the after-school program. Thus far, with the money donated, I wanted you to see how valuable it has been! Here's just a glimpse of what I've seen so far:

With 2,000 rupiah, I can take a ride in the ankot/mikrolet - Malang's public transportation. It's a bright blue mini-van with bus-like doors (on the left side, of course). The insides are lined with benches. You can probably cram 20 people into one. To get off, you ask the driver to pull to the left, "Kiri, Pak." That's just 22 cents!

Airport tax is 30,000 Rp. per flight. I've already taken 3 trips/6 flights. That's 180,000 Rp. = $18.

If you donated $53, this 480,000 Rp. lets me study language for 2 weeks with Ibu Eko or a 10-hour week of language study with Juliana. These hours are, mentally, the most intense of my entire day! This week, Juliana bought me my first Indonesian book. It's SO intimidating! It's all in Indonesian about learning Indonesian! BUT you'll be happy to know that I had 4 great conversations in (mostly) Indonesian on Thursday and Friday! Yippiee!!!

No comments: