18 October, 2007

HIV and paint brushes

If you send medical workers to an area infected with HIV and AIDS,
there's no doubt that they could take medicine and have a place, a
purpose, a dramatic affect! It would be impressive because people's
lives are being saved!

But what do you do about people who keep sleeping around, contracting
HIV or infecting others with AIDS? Maybe they didn't have it as a
child. But as they grow older, they have relationships in which,
eventually, they do.

Maybe it's then that a job like mine can change the world. So I
don't have the background to save people's lives once they've
contracted AIDS. I don't even have the education to work as an art
therapist in traumatic situations.

But to help raise up kids, who simply don't sleep around, that I can
pour my life into, that I can do. Kids who have been educated enough
to know what's out there. Kids who know that they are uniquely
valued and loved. And all I do is hang out with kids during the
after-school program, help out with art projects, and work with artists.

If even I can have this freedom, who's to say that a kid isn't
entitled to the same?

No comments: