04 October, 2007

Back from Bali, again, and Papua: Painting Inspiration

Last time, the guys from SPRING went to Bali without me. They brought back wood carved pencils as ole ole (souvenirs) for everyone. Here's my favorite, the sea turtle. This time, I visited Bali for 3 days. I brought back 3 paintings (one is pictured on my door). It was my 3rd visit since my arrival in July, and it took that long for me to find artwork I liked. Anyways, it was a perfect transition between a week in Papua and returning home...There were many highlights: meeting new friends, a brief reunion with kids at the children's home, eating at Bubba Gumps: onion rings, BBQ ribs and blueberry lemonade!, visiting Tanah Lot, enjoying the hotel bathtubs. But of the best was an hour of boogie boarding (even though I only caught one good wave). It was definitely refreshing to simply lie atop the waves! That's one of my favorite things about surfing. And this was all just on the way back from Papua! *Note: The new wood carving above my door way is from Kamur, Papua. After Christal's 2-week visit living out of a single backpack, I was challenged! You'll be impressed that I packed for 11 days in just my green, grandma bag (a.k.a. Vera Bradley) and my small backpack! Including 2 nights in the jungles of Kamur, close to the coast. We didn't know what to expect. More to come. For now, from Papua, great inspiration to return to my long lost art: oil pastels, watercolor and the site of rivers from the sky. It was as if God carved out the rivers with his finger. It was affirmation for me to continue my purest art form. It’s nothing impressive in hindsight. But the colors, the fluid movement of line, color and water, and the process are free expression for me. I've finally begun to paint like He's been telling me to.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice painting. It's a painting right, not a print?

Wow I can't believe you lived out of a backpack for that long. I don't even think I could do it.

Me said...

wow cute pics! hey, i got a mic so let's skype so i can hear your voice!

love,
hana