05 October, 2007

Sawi Sagu

The next morning, I woke up eager for the day. For breakfast, we ate Sawi "grubs" with ayam nasi goreng (chicken fried rice). Not minutes after my bowl was picked up, I began to feel sick.

Within minutes, it was really bad: stomache ache/cramps, watery eyes, sinus congestion, diarrhea, completely weak, dizzy, fever, difficulty breathing. They called the nurse; she even ran a malaria test - negative.

Finally, I was able to fall asleep.

They say it might have been my emotional reaction to finding out what "grubs" actually are: larva (aka caterpillars the width of your finger and actually the best part!) grilled in gooey, chewy, athletic-chicken-rubbery tree paste. C;

By 2:30, I woke up and felt completely better! Even better than I'd felt since our initial departure (swollen ankle and all)! The ladies were surprised by my quick recovery. They acknowledge that it was a miracle. Until our departure, people would notice that I was better. Before their very eyes, they could see that I had been miraculously healed.

I was sad to leave.

No comments: